[TUHS] 2.11BSD cross compiler

Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com
Wed Sep 29 10:51:48 AEST 2010

There is close zero chance I'll ever use this stuff, unless I retire
to teaching in which case I'll make people write PDP-11 assembler.

But I had to come say thanks for doing this.  The PDP-11 was such
an amazingly pleasant machine to program.  I can easily imagine that
translating stuff from assembler to C is pretty straightforward.

RIP DEC, you brought us some good stuff.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 02:24:45PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
>> 7. Fortran stuff had to be disabled as the Fortran compiler is written
>> in assembly language (IIRC) and would probably be difficult to convert
>> into C (but I don't think this is a big deal).
>
> have you considered running Warren's emulator that can
> run individual binaries (rather than emulating the entire
> system)?  This could let you use a few (or many, if you chose)
> native tools in the build process without giving up portability.
>
> http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub///mirrors/minnie.tuhs.org/PDP-11/Emulators/Apout/
> http://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/software/apout/
>
>> cheers, Nick
>
> Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com