[TUHS] 2.11BSD cross compiler

John Finigan john_finigan at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 02:20:41 AEST 2010

> > There is close zero chance I'll ever use this stuff,
> > unless I retire
> > to teaching in which case I'll make people write
> > PDP-11 assembler.
>
> That seems a tad archaic.  MIPS might be a better
> choice; it's 32-bit
> with 32 registers, and there are excellent simulators for
> it.

At my university there's a grad class that's ostensibly on reverse
engineering,but you can't really disassemble anything if you don't
learn assembler, so you learn it.  The downside, I guess, is that
I've read a decent amount of x86 assembler, but written very little.

I don't think it's a bad way to learn, but of course, Larry was
talking about teaching a nice instruction set, and you
kind of lose that.  But you get Windows DLL function calling
back as a booby prize.

John Finigan