[TUHS] Tracing origins of errno names/numbers

Nick Downing downing.nick+tuhs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:51:38 AEST 2011

I also looked up EDOTDOT and found reference to RFS but not much info about
it.  Why was it not used?  Not reliable enough?  I have often thought that
the stateless, idempotent NFS protocol leaves a lot to be desired due to its
inability to implement unix semantics (as discussed in the wikipedia stub
article on RFS), has this been improved with NFS4?  Should RFS be revived
and used?  Some of its features sounded quite attractive (location
transparency, etc).  It does appear to have the ability to execute a program
remotely??  What happens with regard to PIDs, home directory etc in this
case?  Does anyone know?
cheers, Nick