[TUHS] History of #! interpretation in Unix

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Sun Jan 16 18:43:30 AEST 2011

Hi all, best wishes for 2011. I had an e-mail from Sven Mascheck asking about
the history of #! interpretation in System V. I couldn't find any #!
code in the kernels before SysVR4. However, I thought I'd pass the
query onto the TUHS list, in case others can shed some light on the question.

Did SysV systems before r4 do #! interpretation, and if so where was it done:
kernel, library, shell? Any code references, e.g. function names etc.?

Many thanks,
	Warren