[TUHS] History of #! interpretation in Unix

Sven Mascheck mascheck at in-ulm.de
Mon Jan 17 07:08:12 AEST 2011

John Cowan wrote:
> Sven Mascheck scripsit:

> > DMR might have known the csh-hack [...]
>
> Having two different people invent the shebang independently

who (or what system) do you mean was the 2nd?

> No, I meant that bash does what ksh does: uses itself, [...]

With /bin/sh you actually meant any shell calling "itself"?
Otherwise I'm afraid, I have some difficulties following you.

> IMHO the Posix sh definition should be extended so that all
> shells claiming Posix-compliance should do shebangs.

Shells themselves should implement it, not the kernel?

There was a working group resolution to standardize #!, which didn't
make it, http://www.opengroup.org/platform/resolutions/bwg2000-004.html
you could chime in