[TUHS] History of #! interpretation in Unix

Sven Mascheck mascheck at in-ulm.de
Mon Jan 31 01:05:24 AEST 2011

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Doing some related research, I noticed I had written in my notes (maybe
> over a year ago) that Robert Elz added #! to BSD. Here is the email
> message with the background:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2008/11/10/msg002390.html

Thanks for digging that out. I was confused at first, because 4.0 BSD
implemented it without arguments, while the above article tells

"When I added it to BSD, I made a conscious decision to permit
 exactly one arg - not a general command line."

But the first regular occurence (active by default) in 4.2BSD
is implemented like that.

Do you feel like providing access to more of your research?