[TUHS] SVR4 x86 -- Sources

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jul 12 17:54:45 AEST 2011

For what it's worth, if I remember correctly, 4.3BSD was one of the major
contributions to SVR4. I suspect that if it hadn't been, nobody would've bought it.

>From what I've read, people bought SVRx for the source code license, and then
bought the 4.xBSD for the reliability and usability.

And yes, it would be nice if the entire SysVRx source trees were released under
a suitable FOSS license; but I think the usefulness of such a gesture would be
in stymieing any future "The SCO Group" shenanigans, and I don't know that such
acts of self-preservation are quite the flavour of the month with modern
software companies.

Wesley Parish