[TUHS] SVR4 x86 -- Sources

Norman Wilson norman at oclsc.org
Tue Jul 12 23:24:55 AEST 2011

Contrary to a lot of the distant opinions here,
SVr4 was actually a joint project between USL
(the AT&T commercial-UNIX organization) and Sun.
The intent was to bring together the two different
commercial-UNIX cults (what Stu Feldman once referred
to as Sunni and Shiite UNIX).

I was at Bell Labs while this was going on, but
well off to the side of the effort, in a research
group where we tended (foolishly) to look down
our noses a bit at the whole thing.  I do know that
there were a lot of ruffled feathers within USL
about the allegedly overbearing Sun guys, and it
wouldn't surprise me a bit to hear that there
were similar feelings going the other way.  On
the other hand there were some pretty smart
people involved at a technical level on all
sides.

Certainly it wasn't a one-way street, with BSD-isms
being injected into a USG system or vice versa.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON