[TUHS] Ideas for a Unix paper I'm writing

Nick Downing downing.nick+tuhs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 15:48:39 AEST 2011

Greg, it is very interesting what you've said about the origin of file
descriptors... it might be worth looking into the history of this a
bit deeper, but from what you've said the earlier systems didn't have
the polymorphic file descriptors that unix has, from what I understand
of your post the device nodes in the filesystem were new with unix?  I
totally agree that the text format and the filesystem work together to
promote inter-operability and user `ownership' of their data (a recent
phenomenon along the same lines is XML so we might say that unix
predicts current trends by 20-25 years in this respect as well).
Another really important thing to mention is the Bourne shell, it's
kind of the glue that sticks it all together, and a bit of a
masterpiece in itself, being fraught with compromise but having
programmability and a batch capability without taking away from its
main purpose of being a useable interactive shell.
cheers, Nick