[TUHS] 4.4BSD installed image or login shell?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Apr 20 04:54:05 AEST 2012

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:08:56 -0500 (CDT)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:

> Does anyone have installation instructions (with binary distribution) or
> a ready-to-use image for an historical 4.4BSD (encumbered or -Lite plus
> needed parts or -Lite2) with gxemul, tme, or other emulator?
I can't remember exactely. Its been some years, but I did somthing like
the folowing to get 4.4BSD-Lite on a HP9000-433t instaled:
Boot NetBSD diskless. (Must have been in the 1.4 to 1.6 days.)
disklabel sd0
newfs /dev/rsd0a
mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
cd /mnt
tar xzf /nfsroot/4.4BSD-dist.tar.gz
/mnt/usr/mdec/installboot or somthing like this.

I.e. basicly I did a complete manual OS install using NetBSD as the
install environement and 4.4BSD as the distribution source.

Maybe I used something like
http://unix-archive.pdp11.org.ru/4BSD/Distributions/4.4BSD-Alpha/rootdump.gz
as the initial disk contence. Can't remember.

The resulting disk was bootable, but the old 4.4BSD gradualy damaged
the file system due to differences in the NetBSD ffs or disklabel
layout. But it did run long enough to do about the same procedure as
above to a second disk. As that disk was completely instaled with the
old 4.4BSD stuff it did run well and without problems.
--

\end{Jochen}

\ref{http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/}