[TUHS] the origin of dotfiles

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sun Aug 19 05:16:43 AEST 2012

> Just out of curiosity, how does plan 9 handles it?
> Are there hidden files there? I am sure there are but how are they handled?

ls(1) in Plan9 reports everything. There are no 'hidden' files according to the traditional UNIX meaning. The convention for config files is to place them under $home/lib. But there are so few of these it's not really an issue.  Most users get away with lib/profile and lib/plumbing and don't require anything else.

--lyndon