[TUHS] Classic Unix workstation GUIs

Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com
Mon Aug 20 13:05:05 AEST 2012

I deleted all the code I wrote at Sun but there was a great toolkit,
I want to say xview?  Can't remember the name right now but it was
a really pleasant API, it was

interface(key, val, key, val, key, val, ... END);

and all interfaces took that and all had sensible defaults.  So you passed
in stuff to change the defaults.

I wrote a bunch of GUI tools for what was the system before BitKeeper in
that toolkit.  As a non-gui person, I found it really pleasant.

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 10:40:12PM -0400, Michael Kerpan wrote:
> The recent FOSS release of CDE has got me thinking of other Unix GUIs
> from the "golden age" of workstation Unix. Obviously, stuff like
> SunView and OpenWindows from Sun and 4DWM/Indigo Desktop from SGI are
> pretty well known, but I've always wondered what else was out there.So
> far, I've come across Looking Glass, DECWindows and HP VUE. Is there
> anything else of any importance/interest out there?
>
> Mike

---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com