[TUHS] Classic Unix workstation GUIs

asbesto asbesto at freaknet.org
Fri Aug 24 07:23:24 AEST 2012

Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 09:46:29AM -0400, William von Hagen wrote:

> Though Apollos were much more Unix-like than actual Unix, the DM
> environment (display manager?) on Apollo Aegis,  Domain/IX, and
> Domain/OS workstations was pretty interesting, most notably for the
> sophisticated interaction between the command-line and GUI.

We at our "Museo dell'Informatica Funzionante" Computer Museum
had our Apollo workstation online for free, with Domain/OS up
and running :) If someone want to try using this machine we can
arrange to put it back online - we're actually settling into a
new space so most of our online historical machines are actually
offline...

more to come at http://museum.freaknet.org (including an
english version, sorry!)

p.s. we have some manuals and Domain/OS tape dumps available!

--
[ ::::::::: 73 de IW9HGS : http://freaknet.org/asbesto ::::::::::: ]
[ Freaknet Medialab :: Poetry Hacklab : Dyne.Org :: Radio Cybernet ]