[TUHS] Understanding the /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin Split

Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com
Thu Feb 2 23:49:20 AEST 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 01:35:58PM +0000, Tim Bradshaw wrote:
> On 1 Feb 2012, at 09:26, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
>
> > The Berkeley guys did NOT invent shared libraries.  Shared libraries as
> > we know them came originally from Sun, on SunOS 4.x for sure, possibly
> > on SunOS 3.x. (Larry?)  Many commercial vendors adopted the design (Ultrix,
> > I think, and maybe others) and finally around 4.4 they found their way into
> > "pure" BSD.
>
> 4.  3 may have had them but not in any version we had, so I'd guess not in a major release, anyway.

I got there when SunOS 4.1 was being worked on and they were definitely in
4.0.  4.0 gave you shared libs, vnodes, mmap, there was a lot of good stuff
in there.  It actually worked by 4.1.1 which was probably my favorite SunOS
release.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com