[TUHS] Understanding the /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin Split

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Feb 3 03:36:24 AEST 2012

Warner Losh scripsit:

> sbin was created in SYS Vr4 to move all the binaries that were in /etc.
> /usr/share was created to move all the non-binary, non-text files that
> were in /etc like termcap and timezone info.

Does anyone know what the "s" in sbin stands for?  "Superuser"?  I would
have put these files in /root/bin, but perhaps /root did not yet exist.

Not everything in /usr/share comes from /etc; in particular, /usr/share/dict
was formerly /usr/dict.

--
Go, and never darken my towels again!           John Cowan
        --Rufus T. Firefly                      http://ccil.org/~cowan