[TUHS] Interesting comment about /usr/share/calendar.computer

David Ryskalczyk d235j.1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 01:47:43 AEST 2012

So I was digging around some time back, and noticed these lines in the
*BSD "Computer" calendar file:

06/30   First advanced degree on computer related topic: to H. Karamanian,
        Temple Univ., Phila, 1948, for symbolic differentiation on the ENIAC

Since I'm attending Temple, this caught my attention. However, a
search for "H. Karamanian" didn't turn up anything, so I gave up.

Recently, I tried again and found this:
http://diamond.temple.edu/record=b1850797
In short, the name in calendar.computer is misspelled, and the date is
wrong too! The correct year is 1953, at least according to that
record. (I haven't looked at the actual thesis yet.)
Whether this is indeed the "First advanced degree on computer related
topic" is something I'm not sure about — a cursory search didn't turn
up any others that predate this one, but I didn't search very far.

--David R