[TUHS] unix horror stories

A. P. Garcia a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 01:31:43 AEST 2012

i happened across this cute document in my archives...

----

*na    Bblisa-Announce-Owner at cs.umb.edu    Tue Dec 28 14:10:50 1993
*to    bblisa-announce at cs.umb.edu
*su    Some notes from December 1, 1993 meeting
*fr    "John P. Rouillard" <rouilj at terminus.cs.umb.edu>
*se    Bblisa-Announce-Owner at cs.umb.edu
*da    Tue, 28 Dec 1993 12:42:01 -0500
*mi    <199312281742.AA17997 at cs.umb.edu>
*re    from cs.umb.edu (daemon at cs.umb.edu [158.121.104.2])
    by argali.opal.com (8.6.4/jr2.9) with SMTP
    id OAA27752; Tue, 28 Dec 1993 14:10:43 -0500
*re    by cs.umb.edu id AA18007
    (5.65c/IDA-1.4.4 for bblisa-announce-outgoing); Tue, 28 Dec 1993
12:42:08 -0500
*re    from terminus.cs.umb.edu by cs.umb.edu with SMTP id AA17997
    (5.65c/IDA-1.4.4 for <bblisa-announce at cs.umb.edu>); Tue, 28 Dec 1993
12:42:01 -0500
*ex    Precedence: bulk
*tx

Here are the notes from the December 1, 1993 meeting. Names have been
deleted to protect the innocent. The topic was:

      UNIX Horror Stories (Actually Computer Horror Stories)

and away we go.

Story 1:
A new user I knew was trying to clean out some old accounts on a system
he was given.  As root, he changed directories to one of the old user
directories, and then did 'rm -r *' but noticed it left a directory
called .X11 behind.  To get rid of it, and to be sure it wouldn't fail,
he did 'rm -rf .*'.  Sad to say he didn't realize that '.*' could and
would expand into '..', and it would continue to do so recursively.
I thought this was better than the 'garden variety' 'rm -rf' scenario.
The guy though, worst case, he'd blow away the old user accounts,
but got the entire disk instead!

Needless to say, it was time for the install disketts (yes, diskettes,
about 30 of them...).

Story 2:
SunOS 4.0 NFS server configured with IP address 192.9.200.0
by suninstall (default - a suninstall bug) and rebooted after
OS installation... (nice DECnet meltdown)

Story 3:
/etc/reboot - then noticing you were in the wrong window...

Story 4:
Coming in at 7:00AM Saturday to upgrade to Ultrix 2.2, then
5 hours later having the other guy type in rm -rf - then
realising he forgot to cd out of /etc...

Story 5:
Having a user request some files to be restored - but forgetting
when they existed except that it was "sometime around a
year or so ago"...

Story 6:
Would you all be interested in the time a workman disassembled the cubicle
containing my NIS master and dropped a 1.3 gig disk several feet to the
floor ...? (Prior to telling me he was taking it apart of course ...)

Story 7:
talking to an end-user who just called in over the phone

 my root filesystem filled up, so I looked around; I found & removed vmunix
 and boot, and that seems to have fixed things, so I typed fastboot.

Story 8:
Back in the days when UNIX V6 was new, we installed it on a PDP 11/44
in the CS lab.  It ran fine.  We allowed students on it.  It ran fine.
People started using it for real work, albeit tentatively.  It ran fine.
It was a bit slow if several people were on -- what do you expect for
a PDP11/44 -- but, it ran fine.

Then occasioanlly, we started noticing that troff would go wrong and
it would mis-format some portions of a document.  Funnily enough,
when you re-ran the job, it ran fine.  We opened up the CAT.  Have
you ever been inside a CAT?  These were serious phototypesetters.
And, we could find nothing wrong with ours.  After a few days of
frustratedly looking for problems with the CAT, and the wiring, and
the troff config, it seemed to start working OK again, so we closed
it all up, and forgot about the problem.

About 12 weeks later, students working on simulation class assignments
started complaining that if they came in and ran their programs during
the day, the programs would give the wrong results.  But, if they ran
the SAME programs in the evening, they'd be fine.  Thinking to ourselves
that students are a real pain in the ass, we took a look.  Thing is,
they were right.  The programs DID indeed give different results
depending on when you ran them.  Mostly, they were OK, but occasional
daytime runs were flaky.  Problem with the core (yes, we had core
storage on that system)?  We swapped core boards.  No change.  We
swapped CPU boards.  No change.  We practically swapped every board
and the bus and built a new machine.  No change.  Of course, the
number of failures were few -- the programs ran OK MOST of the time,
so pinning this down was a slow process.  Eventually, the students
all got their assignments done, and they went on to other exercises,
and we didn't have any more problems, so we got on with our lives,
and forgot about it.

Another 12 weeks go by.  We were all happy.  Life was good.  The 11/44
is still running fine.  Until... Aaargh!  Someone using the dc calculator
reported errors in the results... sometimes!  And, at the same time,
someone using troff reported mis-set pages.  We took the machine down
to single user.  We ran all the programs.  We turned on all sorts of
debugging and tracing.  Everything was fine.  Nothing went wrong.
We pulled our hair out!  We went back multi-user.  Everything was
fine.  We'd run dc.  It was fine.  We'd troff the document.  It was
fine.  We'd go to the bar.  The users would come and find us and
show us printouts of their dc and troffs that had gone wrong!!

Aaaargh!

Well, this was one of those problems.  Eventually, we made an observation.
Dc works fine.  Troff works fine.  The simulation assignment program
works fine.  But... run any of them at the same time...!!!!  That
was it!  It turned out, that these three programs used the floating
point hardware.  They were the ONLY programs that used the floating
point hardware.  Our machine had floating point hardware; the one
at Bell Labs did not have.  UNIX V6 was not saving the floating
point registers on context switching.  If you were the only floating
point program on the system, this did not matter -- you context
switched out, and when you switched back in, your registers were
all there as you left them.  But, if there was another floating
point program around, your registers were corrupted!

Over 8 months to diagnose the problem.  Just 2 minutes to fix it!

Story 9:

I received umpty-three million requests at LISA, from people
that wanted me to e-mail them the text of NET's infamous
"Eng_Adm Get List" T-shirt.   So here it is, even if you
didn't want it. :-)

(Eng_Adm is our systems administration mail alias)

FRONT

* I didn't touch a thing. * Why can`t you give me the root password? * I
want
more disk space, now! * It was working fine a minute ago. * I typed rm -rf,
but I didn't really mean to. *  How come SPARC binaries won't work on my
3/50?
* I just turned it off and on a couple of times. * What's an alias? * It
must
be a hardware problem. * This will only take you a minute. * Can you restore
/tmp/junk from February of 87? * X Windows isn't working on my VT100! * I
didn't realize the type of coax made any difference. * How do I post an
article to alt.sex.bondage? * I just plugged my RS-232 port into my phone
jack. * Is the unix broken? * My bin directory is missing! * Someone
spilled
coffee on my keyboard. * I need to be the owner of all of the files in
/usr/kvm. * How can I send mail to my friend on BITNET? * What makes you
think
it is my software? * My Mac is much easier to use. * Why is her disk quota
bigger than mine? * What jumpers? * I can't login to my ethernet. * Don't
you
know where I put my source code? * I need to borrow your CD-ROM for 2
months. *
Where can I find all of those GIF files? * Honest, it just stopped working.
*
But I like the old OS a lot better. * Can you read this TK50 VMS tape onto
my
Sun? * I can do it... I used to be a Systems Administrator. * Can`t this be
done after I go home? * It says, "Run fsck manually". * I need you to
reboot
my floppy drive. * What does RTFM mean? * How hard can it be to do a simple
upgrade? * My system just crashed. * Now how did that file get in there? *
But
the vendor says this should be, "Plug and play". * This is going to cost us
how much!? * A System Administrator doesn't do hardware. * My machine needs
more memory. * Is my monitor suppose to smoke? * Just stay late. * It was
fine,
until I moved the disk drive over to there. * I can guarantee you that my
program is flawless. * Oops... *

BACK

            Eng_Adm "Get List"

            [X] A Clue

            [X] A Life

            [X] Lost

            Remember... just send mail.

Copyright ) 1992 Network Equipment Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.

Story 10:
A Dec F/S rep in to service a line printer managed to trip on the power
cord to a DEC 11/750.    An operator trying to be helpful immediately (no
intermediate steps) plugged the power back in, faulting the system.
Upon the F/S rep's request to hit the reset, a second operator
hit the reset on the wrong 11/750.  All mail, printing and a
substantial number of other services at a small but busy academic
site to came to an abrupt mid-day halt.

Story 11:
A system administrator logged in to a fileserver from home after two
days of vacation to find her environment not working as expected.
Some poking around revealed that the filesystem supporting /usr/local
had been unmounted after disk problems.     A call to the night
operator to see if more info was available yielded the message "the
system was down" waiting for F/S.    The systems administrator's
manager was shocked to find her in early next morning using the "dead"
system's console to distribute alternate /usr/local mount
configurations to the 15 desktops that received it from the server.

Back tracking of the problem revealed that the system was probably
pronounced dead after help desk/operations staff could not login using
a non-standard shell found in /usr/local.    No evidence could be found
that a software support person had been consulted or that anyone other than
users had actually looked at the physical system.    A user was
determined as being the person responsible for removing /usr/local from
mount configurations and bringing the system up multiuser.

Story 12
After testing a new nfs patch on a few test cases, an administrator
began batch kernel installation and system reboots on 5 Sun Servers,
~50 clients, ~15 diskful desktops.    One server on which the others
had the several dependencies failed to reboot.   This server was also the
only one with a spare client slot.  It had the only  tape drive that
could support the SunOS install tapes for it's architecture that was
immediately accessible to the administrator.  The system administrator
determined the server could not be fixed in single user.  It was not
going to be possible to borrow a tape drive off hours.  The
administrator proceded to juggle filespace on another server to setup a
client slot for booting over the net.

About this time,  numerous nfs woes surfaced.   The administrator
proceded to address references  to the down server.   After these
had been addressed (including a few reboots),  the administrator
realized that the test cases hadn't determined the nfs patch would
cause more problems than it solved.  Life was going to be miserable
until it was removed.  The distribution mechanisms then in use were
partially dependent on nfs, so the patch had to be backed out manually
on systems that had come up.     [Fortunately, the practice was to halt
diskless clients and distribute nfs/lockd patches to /export/root on
the servers after the servers  came up using the new patch.     None of
the diskless clients had yet been rebooted.]

Once the patches were backed out and the dead server was finally
booted over the net, examination of the root filesystems revealed that
a *well intentioned* person had, without informing the administrator,
very recently resolved a root overflow problem by making the
contents of /sbin links to /usr.

                -- John
John Rouillard

Special Projects Volunteer    University of Massachusetts at Boston
rouilj at cs.umb.edu (preferred)    Boston, MA, (617) 287-6480