[TUHS] Classic Unix workstation GUIs

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Sep 11 22:12:20 AEST 2012

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Pierre DAVID wrote:

> Am I the only one who have used HP-Windows on HP-UX computers (circa
> 1985-1986) ?
>
> Apparently, Google does not remember this windowing system and its
> associated programs (Memomaker for text editing, PAM as the file
> manager, and so on).

I don't remember any HP-Windows, but I do remember learning UCSD Pascal
around 1985-1986 on HP RISC-based (I think) workstations. I learned to
control plotters over RS-232. I used Memomaker and PAM on HP 110 laptops
(with amazing battery life). The first software I ever sold was my clone
of PAM written in Turbo Pascal to provide a user interface (file manager
and application menu) for generic MS-DOS.  I don't think PAM was ever
for HPUX, but maybe.

http://www.hpmuseum.net/  knows about Memomaker.