[TUHS] Classic Unix workstation GUIs

Pierre DAVID pdagog at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 22:55:19 AEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 08:40:35AM -0400, Ronald Natalie wrote:

> Amusingly the hardware between the 9000 and 3000 line are the same.   The 9000's were marketed with HP/UX.
> The 3000's ran MPE (or as we called it Mighty Poor Excuse).    I had an HP/UX machine back when I was consulting

The hardware was the same only for PA-RISC based machines (i.e.
HP-9000 800 series and later, not the 200/300/400 series based on
the Motorola 68k nor the older 500 series based on a proprietary
processor).

> with Unipress back in 87 or so (and then we did a lot with them in my later job when the newer systems came out).
> But I'm trying to remember a pre-X windowing system and can't think of it.   The later HP/UX had an their own proprietary
> Motif-based window manager.

If I remember correctly, the switch from HP-Windows to X-Window on
HP 9000/300 and /800 series (X10, not X11 at this time) occurred
around 1987 or 1988.

Pierre