[TUHS] Graphic Systems C/A/T phototypesetter

Brian S Walden tuhs at cuzuco.com
Wed Dec 11 03:32:35 AEST 2013

the one at WH was directly connected to a vax 11/780, no paper tape either.
so that now finally explains why /dev/cat was write only, it was substituted
for a paper tape reader. it was always a curiosity that you could write
to it, yet never read it (i.e. get a status). a "cat /dev/cat" would
get you a "cat: cannot open /dev/cat" while a "cat /some/file > /dev/cat"
would succeed, but act like you used /dev/null instead
(as /some/file was not valid phototypeseter input)