[TUHS] Graphic Systems C/A/T phototypesetter

scj at yaccman.com scj at yaccman.com
Wed Dec 11 08:11:00 AEST 2013

One of the most amusing and unexpected consequences of phototypesetting
was the Unix standard error file (!).   After phototypesetting, you had to
take a long wide strip of paper and feed it carefully into a smelly, icky
machine which eventually (several minutes later) spat out the paper with
the printing visible.

One afternoon several of us had the same experience -- typesetting
something, feeding the paper through the developer, only to find a single,
beautifully typeset line: "cannot open file foobar"   The grumbles were
loud enough and in the presence of the right people, and a couple of days
later the standard error file was born...