[TUHS] history of sbin?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Feb 1 10:06:15 AEST 2013

I have heard the story a few times about sbin split is due to disk
space, such as told at
http://www.osnews.com/story/25556/Understanding_the_bin_sbin_usr_bin_usr_sbin_Split/
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html

But I don't see any mention of it in 32V and not in BSD until around
Net2 (like in 1991 src.README said ``... there has been a major
reorganization of the file system.  (You may have seen similar
reorganizations on systems shipped by Sun Microsytems [sic] and Digital
Equipment Corporation, among others.)  ... /sbin same as /bin, but
binaries for the root user''. The slides from Feb. 1988 for a BSD BOF at
USENIX mentioned this sbin reorganization.

Looking at "Unix Text Processing" (1987) and "Life with Unix" (1989) I
didn't see any use of sbin/. (I didn't look at my other old books.)
>From searching old 1980 usenet archives I only saw a few mentions (like
/usr/brl/sbin/...).

When did some (non-BSD) systems ship and document /sbin, /usr/sbin?
Is the common story (liked linked above) the right story?

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo uggc://errqzrqvn.arg/obbxf/ofq-uvfgbel/ | \
 tr "noqruvxzabcefgl" "abdehikmnoprsty"