[TUHS] History of strncpy

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Jan 24 07:46:51 AEST 2013

Ronald Natalie scripsit:

> Why does the FILE structure go as the first argument in some functions
> (similar to the way UNIX tends to do things) and at the end of others?

I think it goes at the end in every case except for varargs functions,
where we wouldn't be able to know which one was last easily.

> Why on earth did they preserve the silly fread/fwrite size feature
> that just multiplies the two middle args together long after it was
> realized that portability doesn't demand making such a distinction.

I like the idea: essentially it's about reading or writing an array
of a specified type.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the