[TUHS] Fwd: A cameo by UNIX in BSTJ

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Wed Jul 24 11:34:10 AEST 2013

All, I got this interesting e-mail from Poul-Henning a few days ago.
	Warren

----- Forwarded message from Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> -----

   Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 13:27:27 +0000
   From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
   To: wkt at tuhs.org
   Subject: A cameo by UNIX in BSTJ

Some months ago I faced a flight from Denmark to NZ and back again,
so I bought a Kobo eBook reader and reformatted the entire BSTJ to fit
the screen.

That gave me about 100k "pages" to read, plenty for my NZ-flights
and a large number of otherwise wasted moments since then.  Highly
recommeded.

Recently I came over what I belive is the first mention of UNIX in BSTJ.

We all know about the v57i6, July-August 1978 "UNIX Time-Sharing System"
issue, but it transpires that UNIX made a cameo two years earlier
in an article about compression-schemes for TeleFax:

www3.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol55-1976/articles/bstj55-10-1539.pdf

Enjoy,

Poul-Henning

----- End forwarded message -----