[TUHS] terminal - just for fun

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sat Aug 2 13:37:03 AEST 2014

On Saturday,  2 August 2014 at 11:49:02 +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2014, John Cowan wrote:
>
>>> Personally I've yet to think of a single use for Caps Lock and Num
>>> Lock.
>>
>> It was essential in the transition period when keyboards had acquired
>> upper and lower case but operating systems only understood upper case.
>
> Hadn't really noticed; I went straight from CP/M to Unix, giving MS-DOS a
> miss.

While I'm not convinced I agree with John, this would have predated
CP/M.  After all it, and MS-DOS after it, *did* understand lower case.
And the CapSlock key was there on the earliest upper/lower case
keyboards I've seen.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.