[TUHS] terminal - just for fun

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sat Aug 2 16:09:59 AEST 2014

On Saturday,  2 August 2014 at 15:45:29 +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2014, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> While I'm not convinced I agree with John, this would have predated
>> CP/M.  After all it, and MS-DOS after it, *did* understand lower case.
>> And the CapSlock key was there on the earliest upper/lower case
>> keyboards I've seen.
>
> Now you're taking me back to the 2741 and ye olde 360/50...

Heh.  I never used a 2741, just a 735, which I interfaced to a Z-80 in
the early 1980s.  Its native code was neither BCD nor EBCDIC, just two
tilt and 4 (I think) rotate bits that mapped to a position on the
ball.

> The Teletype on the PDP-8 was upper-case, as was the 2741 with the
> APL goofball.

Yes, that was my first machine too, with the cheaper ASR-33 without
lower case.

Does anybody who used the ASR-35 recall if it had a CapsLock key?

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.