[TUHS] Subject: changes for modern -> v7 -> v6 -> v5

Doug McIlroy doug at cs.dartmouth.edu
Mon Aug 4 13:56:02 AEST 2014

> no conditional compilation so no way to make a truly universal version
> which works on everything.

If cc -I is there, it should be able to do the tailoring.

Also conditional compilation of non-declaration statements can
be replaced by regular if statements that typically can be
optimized away (though the old C compilers may not do so).

Incidentally, I would say that the use of conditional compilation
is evidence that the code is NOT truly universal, but has to be
specially adapted to various environments.

Doug