[TUHS] Unix taste (Re: terminal - just for fun)

A. P. Garcia a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 00:53:23 AEST 2014

On Aug 4, 2014 9:00 AM, "Tim Bradshaw" <tfb at tfeb.org> wrote:

> On 3 Aug 2014, at 12:49, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > Exactly. I've often wondered what the heck exactly it is that GNU
Emacs, GCC,
> > etc are all doing with those megabytes of code.
>
> That's the wrong question.  On my laptop right now Emacs seems to be
about 37M after running for a while but not weeks (total VM I think). The
mail client I am writing this with is 118M (and some helpers apparently
which might push it closer to 150).  The reminders application is 90.  The
application I'm using to get these numbers is using more memory than Emacs.

> Emacs was a very big application, once, but in terms of feature/byte it
is now an extremely svelte thing compared with the bloated horrors that we
use all the time.

> (Non-GUI emacs is 6).

that's it. I'm taking away all your pdps and vaxen. you don't deserve them
anymore.  ;-)