[TUHS] terminal - just for fun

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Aug 5 06:39:35 AEST 2014

On Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:

> Related to this is the stty -lcase option that mapped lower case char to
> upper (or the other way around, I forgot)

Wait until you've used a VT-05 as the console; 72x20, upper case on
display with few symbols (so Unix showed "{" as "\(" for example), a
switch that told it to send lower case, and another switch that echoed
locally (useful for passwords).

And the upper-case printers that overstruck "{" as "(\b-"....  Those poxy
things were about as Unix-hostile as you could get.

-- Dave