[TUHS] terminal - just for fun

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Thu Aug 7 04:48:22 AEST 2014

I just discovered that Wikipedia has a nice article "teleprinter" that
goes into detail about these devices.

About "HERE IS" they state this:
Some teleprinters had a "Here is" key, which transmitted a fixed
sequence 20 or 22 characters, programmable by breaking tabs off a
drum. This sequence could also be transmitted automatically upon
receipt of an ENQ (control E) signal, if enabled.[19][20] This was
commonly used to identify a station; the operator could press the key
to send the station identifier to the other end, or the remote station
could trigger its transmission by sending the ENQ character,
essentially asking "who are you?".