[TUHS] Unix taste

A. P. Garcia a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 14:49:32 AEST 2014

On Aug 13, 2014 11:36 PM, "Norman Wilson" <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:

<snip>
> Pipelines
> (especially once they were attractive and convenient to use)
> made a bigger difference than we remember in how commands
> worked and which commands were useful.
>
> And of course Doug gets at least as much credit as Ken for
> changing our lives with all that.

What I remember reading is that once Dr. McIlroy conceived it, he wouldn't
let it go until one day Thompson announced that he was going to implement
it.

I'm curious whether he's familiar with the powershell spin on pipes and
what he thinks of it. Knowing he's something of a minimalist and a
curmudgeon, I suspect he doesn't fancy it much, but I personally think it's
a brilliant evolution of the concept. (With all due respect, of course. I
have nothing but admiration for the man.)