[TUHS] Teletype

Ernesto Celis ecelis at sdf.org
Sun Aug 17 06:42:17 AEST 2014

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014, John Cowan wrote:

> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:08:07
> From: John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org>
> To: Brian Zick <brian at zickzickzick.com>
> Cc: "tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org" <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] Teletype
>
> Brian Zick scripsit:
>
> > Would it still be possible today for someone like me to go out, and find an
> > old teletype terminal (an old ASR or DECwriter or something), set up a
> > phone line and modem and get a roll of paper, and then actually use it to
> > connect to other computers?
>
> The trick would be to find a computer that not only has dialable modems
> (there are several such ISPs out there, like AOL, EarthLink, and NetZero),
> but also allows callers access to a command line.  Normally you get
> only PPP service, which just allows you to send and receive IP packets,
> of no use to a TTY.
>
> But there may be some hobbyist systems out there with dialup access.

I also lurk mostly on this ML, but this thread puled my attention.

I run a FreeBSD box as home server, also I own an USRobotics modem which
I've been thinking about connect to the home server and use it to dial
in to get acces to my shell, sort of fallback. I'm moving to a new home,
maybe this could be an interesting thing to do now that I have to mount
my setup in a new place.

--
Ernesto Celis de la Fuente
SDF Public Access UNIX System