[TUHS] networking on unix before uucp

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Fri Aug 22 23:32:29 AEST 2014

BRL backported the BSD port into our primarily version six UNIX kernel.   It took some shenanigans with overlays in the kernel to get it to work,.   Prior to that on the 11/70's we had been getting buy with just running the kernel in split I/D mode (the JHU / BRL boot loader was still one of the more interesting ones in my opinoin.   I like the BSD ones that "trapped" into the kernel to get it going, the JHU one placed the instruction to switch the processor mode right at high memory so that when the PC rolled over to zero it would be in the new mode).

Prior to UUCP we had some "kermit-ish" point to point feeds over the serial lines and we also bridged between our DEC 10 at JHU and the 11/45 running UNIX.   Similar links were set up between some of our LSI 11 UNIX/MINIUNIX systems.