[TUHS] networking on unix before uucp

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Aug 23 12:30:39 AEST 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 07:01:40AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2014, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> > If anyone wants the stuff we use, the stuff mentioned above, I can put
> > it up on the web.
>
> Pretty please!  For private use only, of course.

You'all can use it anywhere you like.

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/tcp.shar

It's not that big a deal (other than 20 years of bug fixes :)

Somewhere I have a bigger deal, at least I think it is, I made a library
to talk to Sun RPC servers in parallel.  I called it rpc vectors and Ron
Minnich used it to put a bunch of nfs servers together, he called that
bigfoot.  Paper below, if someone wants that code I can ship that too.
It was pretty neat, back in the days of 10Mbit ethernet I was querying
thousands of machines in a single call.  The code dealt with the fact
that you had to start eating the replies before you were done sending
the question :)

http://wenku.baidu.com/view/797c4ac62cc58bd63186bd1c.html

or for old school people

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/bitmover/lm/papers/bigfoot.ps

The code was pretty small, pretty clever, it's a shame it didn't catch on.
--
---