[TUHS] What's with the DZ-11?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Dec 2 01:46:59 AEST 2014

> On Dec 1, 2014, at 5:32 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
> Coming sbould be BCPL, Algol, LISP and some other languages; MACRO-11 and the
> DEC linker (which I guess are also available from UNSW tapes),but _also_
> programs to convert back and forth from .REL to a.out format, and to .LDA
> format; and a whole ton of other applications (I have no idea what all is
> there - if anyone is interested, I can make a pass through my manuals and try
> and make a list).

I remember playing ZORK (dungeo) in college on a VAX 11/750 which was
a PDP-11 a.out run in emulation mode (well, to be honest it was even more
complex than that, since there was a shell script to open all the data files on
specific FDs, setup some weird environment variables and then the PDP-11
program was run). The image looked to be converted from an RT-11 version
of the program that I ran under RSTS/E on a PDP-11/34 while working for a
small database company in high school…

I’d always wondered how that came to be, and what tools were needed to
run it...

Warner