[TUHS] History of chown semantics

Brian S Walden tuhs at cuzuco.com
Fri Jan 10 11:41:38 AEST 2014

Yep, but where did the user base from PWB come from? They were
existing professional programmers from the mainframe world, still
writing for the mainframe, now sumbmitting via UNIX RJE.

Where did the sysadmins of PWB that added these users come from?
Same answer. If users are not added into the right groups, and
the users don't know (or need, care, or be able change) groups,
they don't get implemented properly.

And if you don't have gids, want to collaborate, and are discouraged
from copying, you need to do a ton of chown()s