[TUHS] History of chown semantics

SZIGETI Szabolcs szigiszabolcs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 02:53:03 AEST 2014

Well, with the same reasoning, we don't need passwords or protection bits
on files, since I can always take a piece of steel pipe and beat the owner,
until he gives out the data, so why bother?

Blocking chown for general users is one level of several controls. Given
the need, it is always possible to thwart an attack, with additional
controls. And of course, given a set of controls, is is always possible to
find an attack that will be successful. It all depends on the cost of the
protection, the attack and of the data being protected.

Szabolcs