[TUHS] Compiling the unix v5 kernel

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Fri Jul 11 11:31:31 AEST 2014

All, just received this from a fellow who isn't on the TUHS mail list (yet).
I've answered him about using mknod (after reading the 6e docs: we don't have
5e docs). I thought I'd forward the e-mail here as a record of an attempt to
rebuild the 5e kernel.

Cheers, Warren

----- Forwarded message from Mark -----

I hope you don't mind me asking you about compiling the unix v5
kernel. I haven't been able to find any documentation for it.

I tried this:

./mkconf
rk
tm
tc
dc
lp
ctrl-d

# as mch.s
# mv a.out mch.o
# cc -c c.c
# as l.s
# ld -x a.out mch.o c.o ../lib1 ../lib2

There was no m40.s in v5 so I substituted mch.s for m40.s and that
seemed to create a kernel and it booted but I can't access /dev/mt0.

Any pointers are appreciated. Thanks for all your work on early unix,
I thought it was very interesting.

Mark

----- End forwarded message -----