[TUHS] First Unix that could run on a PDP-11 with QBUS

Mark Longridge cubexyz at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 12:37:41 AEST 2014

Hi folks,

I was digging around trying to figure out which Unixes would run on a
PDP-11 with QBUS.  It seems that the very early stuff like v5 was
strictly UNIBUS and that the first version of Unix that supported QBUS
was v7m (please correct me if this is wrong).

I was thinking that the MicroPDP-11's were all QBUS and that it would
be easier to run a Unix on a MicroPDP because they are the most
compact. So I figured I would try to obtain a Unix v7m distribution
tape image. I see the Jean Huens files on tuhs but I'm not sure what
to do with them.

I have hopes to eventually run a Unix on real hardware but for now I'm
going to stick with simh. It seems like DEC just didn't make a desktop
that could run Bell Labs Unix, e.g. we can't just grab a DEC Pro-350
and stick Unix v7 on it. Naturally I'll still have fun checking out
Unix v5 on the emulator but it would be nice to eventually run a Unix
with all the source code at hand on a real machine.

Mark