[TUHS] Bugs in V6 'dcheck'

A. P. Garcia a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 12:10:01 AEST 2014

On Jun 1, 2014 8:11 PM, "Ronald Natalie" <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> Some UPSTART named RMS in his whole odipherous spledor couldn't even
spell LINUX.

This I've always found ironic, that he's sore because people call the os
linux and don't give gnu credit, when gnu itself was simply a unix ripoff.

Trying to empathize with the creators of unix, I think I would've felt like
someone was stealing things I'd worked hard to produce. But I don't know.
Like you said, he wrote manifestos and rants, so I might just as well have
dismissed him as a nut. You could also take the magnanimous view that he
was actually helping spread your ideas, albeit while putting his own
political spin on things. I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to troll or start a
flame war. RMS is something of an enigma to me.

<snip>

> RMS didn't even enter onto the UNIX scene until after he had been burned
by LMI/Symbolics/MIT over contributions he made to the Lisp Machine that he
assumed would always be freely available.     I was a rather late comer to
UNIX, having not started on it until 1977,   RMS wasn't anywhere around
until over a decade later.

I think he likes to throw 1984 around as the year he wrote the 'gnu
manifesto'.

> I was happy that Ken and Dennis and the folks were coming up with the
design pattern and not worrying about every single bug in the system.
This was RESEARCH.     Those of us in the direct trenches at the places
that got UNIX under the "scrap metal" provisions got to make our own
contribution by increasing robustness and performance as well as extended
the underlying paradigm.

And it's a beautiful design that has adapted remarkably well to new
technologies for decades.