[TUHS] Bugs in V6 'dcheck'

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Jun 2 13:34:05 AEST 2014

    > From: norman at oclsc.org (Norman Wilson)

    > SP&E published a paper by Don Knuth discussing all the many bugs found
    > in TeX, including some statistical analysis.

    > From: John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org>

    > "The Errors of TeX" was an excellent article.

Thanks for the pointer; it sounds like a great paper, but alas the only
copies I could fine online were behind paywalls.

    > From: Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com>

    > btw.  there is a v6 version of fsck floating around.

Yes, we had it at MIT.

    > I'm wonder if I can find a readable copy.

As I've mentioned, I have this goal of putting the MIT Unix (the kernel was
basically PWB1, with a host of new applications) sources online.

I have recently discovered (in my basement!) two sets of full dump tapes
(1/2" magtape) of what I think are the whole filesystem, so if I can find a
way to get them read, we'll have the V6 fsck - and much more besides (such
as a TCP/IP for V6). So I think you may soon get your wish!

	Noel