[TUHS] Gnu/Stallman (was Bugs in V6 'dcheck')

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Jun 2 14:43:48 AEST 2014

Nick Downing scripsit:

> Bash I guess is an extreme example of this, we do not need a commandline
> shell that is 1Mb in size!!

Well, some people find it useful.  But if you want dash or Unix rc,
you know where to find them.

> Further the build systems are totally broken, I
> appreciate what automake/autoconf is doing but from a developer point of
> view they are totally unwieldy and another example of the "kitchen sink"
> philosophy of supporting every conceivable, and outdated, architecture.

Indeed.  I rather like the Chicken Scheme approach:  there is a Makefile
fragment for each supported architecture, currently BSD, Solaris, Android,
AIX, Haiku, iOS, MinGW with or without MSYS, Cygwin, Hurd, MacOSX,
and Linux.  If you want anything else, provide your own Makefile fragment.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Eric Raymond is the Margaret Mead of the Open Source movement.
          --Bruce Perens, a long time ago