[TUHS] Gnu/Stallman (was Bugs in V6 'dcheck')

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Tue Jun 3 00:24:48 AEST 2014

Ronald Natalie scripsit:

> Still with all it's flaws, on the 286 and later UNIX actually did run in
> protected mode, something it took ages for DOS/Windows (one can argue
> backwards compatibility with the early processors) or Apple (no excuse
> here, the early Macs were 68000's which had protection) to pick up upon.

The original Mac 128K was a 68000 processor, and IIRC memory protection
didn't arrive until the 68020.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
'Tis the Linux rebellion / Let coders take their place,
The Linux-nationale / Shall Microsoft outpace,
We can write better programs / Our CPUs won't stall,
So raise the penguin banner of / The Linux-nationale.  --Greg Baker