[TUHS] Gnu/Stallman (was Bugs in V6 'dcheck')

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Tue Jun 3 05:10:14 AEST 2014

Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> But nostalgia aside, something I find interesting (and frankly a bit
> distressing) is what seems to me to simply be an acceptance that it's all
> going to end with Linux.  That is to say, no one ever seems to talk about
> what will come *after* Linux.  Will Linus's kernel truly be the last kernel
> anyone works on seriously?  Somehow I very much doubt that.  And yet, you
> don't see a lot of talk about evolutionary paths beyond Linux; it's a sort
> of tunnel vision.
>
> For a while, it seemed like Plan 9 and/or Inferno could be the way forward,
> but they seem to be all but dead.  What will be the next step forward?

Brantley can tell you that Plan 9 isn't dead, although the Labs aren't
really providiing the "central control" that Steve mentioned and which
is so valuable.

There is even some innovation in the Plan 9 world, but much of it is
"researchy" - not something to run your enterprise on.  (At least, not
without a few very sharp gurus handy.) It seems like Plan 9 has been
stuck somewhere between V7 and 4.3BSD in terms of "solidity" for many
years now. This is rather sad.

Arnold