[TUHS] unix history git

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Tue Jun 3 08:05:49 AEST 2014

Thank you for bringing this up.  I first posted to the list about the
project in February 2013 [1], and some of you helpfully supplied me
login names I was looking for.

Over the past few weeks I managed to solve a difficult problem that was
puzzling me, namely how to commit each release snapshot files
incrementally, while also ensuring that git blame would work correctly
across releases.  Having solved the problem, I created a working
repository with a some key releases in it, and was waiting to tidy up a
few loose ends before coming to the list for more help.

Now hat the cat is out of the bag, here are a few things I could need
your help.

1. The login names of the following Bell Labs researchers
Charles B. Haley
E. Schmidt

2. The login names of the following Berkeley authors
A. R. Newton
Charles Haley
Colin L. Mc Master
Douglas Lanam
D. O. Pederson
Ellis Cohen
Earl T. Cohen
Ivan Maltz
Juan Porcar
Jeff Schriebman
Kurt Shoens
Len Edmondson
Olivier Roubine
R. Dowell
Ross Harvey
Richard Tuck
Robert Toxen
Susan L. Graham
Zhishun Alex Liu

3. The names corresponding to the following Berkeley ids
claudio
csvaf
denise
ecc
epg
evan
fitz
fortran
harrison
lam
opcode
orange
rt

4. The authors of a few relatively large contributions (the numbers are
the changed lines associated with the specific release and corresponding
total lines).

Research-V6
usr/source/sno 1606 1606
usr/source/cref/src 1448 1463

Research-V7
usr/src/games/chess 3985 3993
usr/games/ching.d 2366 2366
usr/src/cmd/cpp 1413 1417
usr/src/cmd/lpr 1318 1318
usr/src/libF77 1271 1271

1BSD
pcs 1800 1800
portlib 1701 1781
opcodes 1580 1580

3BSD
usr/src/sys/sys 8163 16488
usr/src/cmd/f77 5981 17252
usr/src/new/libI77uc 4379 5395
usr/src/cmd/versatec 3885 4271
usr/games/advfiles/cave 1772 1772
usr/games/quiz.k 1709 1709
usr/src/cmd/uucp 1358 7387
usr/src/sys/stand 1350 3382
usr/src/games/banner.c 1129 1129

5. Errors and omissions in the files that map file paths to authors. [2]

You can supply these things via the list, if you think they're of wider
interest, through private email, or through git pull requests.

[1] http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2013-February/002836.html
[2]
https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-make/blob/master/src/author-path

Diomidis Spinellis