[TUHS] Evolutionary Paths (was Gnu/Stallman (was Bugs in V6 'dcheck'))

scj at yaccman.com scj at yaccman.com
Wed Jun 4 04:48:25 AEST 2014

Well, I'm sure my biases are showing, but I see the Kernel as a means for
supplying features for a model of computation, and the programming
language as the delivery vehicle for that model of computation.  And in my
view, C/C++ is far more obsolete than Linux.

Hardware has left software in the dust.  It is quite feasible to produce a
chip with 1000 or 10,000 processors on it, each with a bit of memory and a
communication fabric.  That's what tomorrow's technology is giving us.
Multicore and named threads are just not going to cut it when using such a
system.  A central supplier of any service is a bottleneck.  We've got to
write our software to act more like an ant farm than a military hierarchy.

Otherwise said, we have to learn to think different.  Very different.  And
the hardest part of that is letting go of the old ways of thinking.
Perhaps encroaching senility is help in this...

Steve