[TUHS] 40 years of Unix CACM Article

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Sat Jun 28 17:02:06 AEST 2014

Just in from an early Unix devotee.
   Warren

-------- Original Message --------
From: Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>
Sent: 28 June 2014 16:14:18 AEST
To: Auug Talk <talk at lists.auug.org.au>
Subject: [AUUG-Talk]: 40 years of Unix

Next month sees the 40th anniversary of the article "The Unix Timesharing
System" published in Communications of the ACM; I was at UNSW at the time,
and we bought the first tape for subsequent distribution.

At the time its only competitor was RSTS-11, and to a lesser extent
RSX-11D and RSX-11M (all DEC systems).  It saw CP/M vanish, MS-DOS come
and go, NT tried to challenge it, and even Windows hasn't beaten it.

It spawned Linux, which Billy Gates regarded as a serious threat ("any box
running Linux is not running Windows") and even tried a smear campaign
against it.

Unix was a design that "just worked" because K&R simply got it right,
right from the start.

It'll never go away.

-- Dave
Talk - The AUUG discussion list.