[TUHS] Work I've done with a PDP-11 simulator

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon May 12 15:29:02 AEST 2014

Norman Wilson scripsit:

> Certainly the directory entries were different between the two: ODS-1
> used RADIX-50-encoded file names with at most six characters plus an
> at-most-three- character `extension'

Ah, yes, of course.

> (a term which newbies sometimes improperly import into UNIX as well);

To be fair, there are programs, notably "make", which behave as if Unix
had extensions.

> I forget the exact filename rules in VMS, but filenames certainly
> could be longer than six characters.

39 characters of name and 39 characters of extension in ODS-2, no
definite limits (and Unicode to boot)imits in ODS-5.  ODS-5 is close to
NTFS.

> I'll spend some time in the next few days going over them and see if I
> can quickly get something workable.

Excellent!

> To speed that up, I taught uucico a new protocol, whereby control
> information still went over a serial line, but data blocks were
> transferred over a chunk of raw shared disk (with appropriate locks,
> of course).

Clever.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
I now introduce Professor Smullyan, who will prove to you that either
he doesn't exist or you don't exist, but you won't know which.
                               --Melvin Fitting