[TUHS] 2.10

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Nov 21 15:46:26 AEST 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

> Well, 2.10 has SLIP,

​SLIP means you still need the IP stack
​ (serial-line-ip)​
.  It ​
​just replaces an ethernet driver with a serial port.

> but it'd certainly be easier to implement a simple userland tool to talk
> to a frontend!

​Actually there was tool that was almost all in userland to support
multiple sessions over single serial line between a Macs a UNIX system.  My
memory is that it used Chesson's multiplexer (mpx) which is part of stock
V7 (his is pre-select system call).​  I wish I could remember the name of
that program.  But I bet it or something like it could be repurposed pretty
quickly to talk to a frontend micro.

Biggest issue is interrupt overhead on serial ports on the 11.   If this is
real HW, see you can find a real DEC DH or better yet - an Able DH/DM.  DH
style interfaces will be a huge difference over DL's or DZs.  DZs were pigs
on Vaxen and on an 11 a line at 19.2K continuous could kill it.

BTW:  I thought of another option.  It's not telnet or ftp, but if your
desire is move files back and forth without having to use a common physical
media and sneaker-net, BSD 2x should have the BerkNET code in it.   That
will run on an serial line - although my previous comment about the type of
interface can matter from a performance standpoint.

Clem