[TUHS] What's with the DZ-11?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Nov 28 05:57:59 AEST 2014

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> To prevent giving an incorrect impression to those who 'were not there',
> each single DZ hex board supported 8 lines (fully independent of any
> other cards); the full DH replacement did need two boards, though.

And was really really expensive, which is why we had DJ-11s instead, hence
our rapture on the coming of the DZ-11.

Oh, and I'm a software person, with a good knowledge of hardware (I was
forever trying to tell the hardware bods that it was their problem and not
mine, and I practically had to rub their noses in it).

DEC used to fob us off because we ran Unix; it was only when DECEX became
available that the overlapped-seeks issue on the RK-11 was finally
acknowledged, as RSX/RSTS didn't use that feature, and MAINDEC didn't prod
it.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)